The Faculty of Social Sciences comprises nine departments, schools and institute, offering undergraduate, masters and doctoral programs in both English and French. With over 9,000 students, 260 full-time professors, and a wide array of programs and research centres, the Faculty of Social Sciences plays a key role at the heart of the University of Ottawa. Its graduate students are trained by excellent researchers and undertake cutting-edge research in the Faculty’s Master’s and Ph.D. programs.
The Faculty of Social Sciences welcomes applications for two replacement positions in its Department of Sociology and Anthropology.
Courses to be taught will be principally in the following fields:
• In anthropology: methodology, geographical areas (i.e., Africa, Asia, Oceania), and native peoples.
• In sociology: quantitative and qualitative methodology, deviance, classical sociological theory and theorists.
• Teach mainly at the undergraduate level and according to the need, at the graduate levels
• Participate in academic and administrative activities • Perform other activities as specified in the collective agreement
• Hold a Ph.D. in Sociology or Anthropology (candidates who are close to completing a Ph.D. could be considered)
• Demonstrate excellence or the potential for excellence in teaching and research • The capacity to teach in both languages constitutes an asset
The University of Ottawa is a bilingual institution, and all professors in the Faculty of Social Sciences must be actively bilingual (French and English). Active bilingualism at the time of hiring is an asset.
HIRING CONDITIONS AND SALARY
These are set by the current collective agreement. Positions are also subject to budget approval.
DURATION OF CONTRACT
This one year contract will beginning on July 1st, 2011 and end June 30th, 2012; renewable upon recommendation of the Dean.
Consideration of applications will begin on April 26th, 2011 and will continue until the position is successfully filled.
Applicants must submit their curriculum vitae and a letter indicating their teaching and research experience and interests. They must also indicate their French and English language abilities. Applicants must request that three referees send letters of recommendation under separate cover.
All information and letters are to be sent directly to:
Director, Department of Sociology and Anthropology
Faculty of Social Sciences / University of Ottawa
55 Laurier Avenue East, Room 8101
Ottawa (Ontario) K1N 6N5
fax: (613) 562-5371
All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, according to government policy, Canadians and permanent residents will be given priority. Equity is a University of Ottawa policy; women, Aboriginal peoples, members of visible minorities and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply.