Director, Clinical Research Services (CRS) Transformation
Dedicated exclusively to children and their families, The Hospital for Sick Children (SickKids) is one of the largest and most respected paediatric healthcare centres in the world. As innovators in child health, we lead and partner to improve the health of children through the integration of healthcare, leading-edge research and education. Our reputation would not have been built – nor could it be maintained – without the skills, knowledge and experience of the extraordinary people who come to work here every day. SickKids is committed to ongoing learning and development, and features a caring and supportive work environment that combines exceptionally high standards of practice.
When you join SickKids, you become part of our community. We share a commitment and determination to fulfill our vision of Healthier Children. A Better World. Don’t miss out on the opportunity to work alongside the world’s best in paediatric healthcare.
In support of the SickKids 2025 Strategy and the vision of Unprecedented Outcomes Powered by Precision Child Health (PCH), SickKids is looking for a dynamic Director with clinical and/ or research experience who can support the transformation of Clinical Research Services (CRS).
Reporting to the Associate Chief of Clinical Research, and working with research, clinical, and operational leaders across the enterprise, the Director will support day-to-day CRS operations while simultaneously providing strategic leadership to support the modernization of policies, procedures, workflows, information service technologies, and infrastructure that support the high quality, safe, ethical, efficient, and equitable delivery of clinical research at SickKids. The successful candidate will use their skills in process improvement, project and change management, business case development, general operational know-how, and knowledge of clinical research to develop and implement a CRS transformation roadmap. The Director will work closely with the leadership team within PCH, clinical, SickKids Foundation, and the Research Institute to align the delivery of Clinical Research Services with the hospital’s short-term and long-term strategic goals. Specific areas of focus in Clinical Research Services include but are not limited to – regulatory compliance, ethics, core services, education and credentialling, clinical trials navigation, and patient/ family/ community engagements.
Here’s What You’ll Get to Do
- In collaboration with the CRS team and clinical/ research/ PCH leadership, lead the development and implementation of the Clinical Research Services transformation roadmap in support of SickKids 2025 and PCH strategies
- Develop a current state analysis, including value stream maps of all services provided by CRS. Identify opportunities and gaps to inform the transformation of CRS to meet institutional needs
- Identify quantitative and qualitative data gaps, strategize to fill them, and use the resulting data to inform the prioritization of projects/ initiatives required for the successful transformation of CRS
- Provide leadership and direction to the CRS team to support the translation of the SickKids 2025 and PCH strategies via the transformation of CRS. Create and develop support for the growth and engagement of clinical research professionals across the institution
- Leverage project management and change management skills to successfully drive the implementation of projects/ initiatives within CRS and across other areas of the organization that result in best-in-class policy, approaches and infrastructure to deliver clinical research services across the organization
- Ensure all CRS transformation projects and initiatives have clear scope and milestones and are completed on-time and on-budget
- Supervision, mentoring and management of Managers within CRS to ensure implementation of CRS strategic directives. Provide operational oversight and increase coordination for/ between all CRS business units
- Liaising with leaders within the Research Institute and CRS Managers to develop financial plans and ensure operational compliance
- Establish and maintain mutually beneficial relationships with all relevant internal (researchers, clinicians, corporate and operational leaders, etc.) and external stakeholders (Governmental organizations, Vendors/ Services Providers, other partnering institutions, etc.)
- Lead the development of all business cases to support capital or project investments required to support the transformation
- In collaboration with Research IT, Information Services, the Industry Partnerships & Commercialization Office, Legal and Procurement, and relevant user groups, lead the evaluation and selection of external vendors/service providers and establish expected performance standards/ service level agreements for required technology platforms, services and partnerships
- Provide leadership and governance to ongoing transformational change initiatives across the organization that impact clinical research services
What Do You Bring To The Role?
- Extensive experience in academic clinical research – 10+ years of experience in the healthcare sector (academic hospital, pharmaceutical, or medical research industry)
- Relevant masters level degree (Master of Health Administration, Master of Business Administration, Master of Health Policy, Master of Science, or equivalent)
- Knowledge of the Health Canada regulatory environment
- Desirable credentials – PMP, Lean, SoCRA
- 7-10 years experience leading a large team
- Embodies discretion, confidentiality, and a high degree of emotional intelligence, and servant leadership
- Highly skilled in strategic thinking, planning, and execution
- Excellent written and verbal executive-level communication skills
- Proven experience in managing complex multi-million-dollar budgets
- Well-developed leadership, collaboration, and stakeholder engagement skills
- Proven track record in business case development and subsequent project/ initiative implementation
- Proven track record leading complex organizational change
- Proven track record managing requests for proposals and managing mutually beneficial relationships with vendors/service providers and other partners
- Demonstrates the ability to be effective in dealing with ambiguities, exercising fast and effective problem solving that is, wherever possible, data-driven
- Ability to work in an ambiguous environment with the ability to self-direct
Employment Type: Full-time, 2 year CONTRACT.
Flexible Hybrid work environment. Join the SickKids Team and work alongside the best & brightest. Freedom to innovate & be your authentic self. Supports include: Tuition Reimbursement Program, Wellness & Peer Support Programs, and Group Benefits Program.
The Hospital has recently launched the EDI Strategic Plan, led by our Executive Lead and Strategic Advisor for EDI - to learn more please visit SickKids EDI Strategy
Our Commitment to Diversity
The children and families we care for are from a variety of communities, and so are our employees. We welcome and encourage everyone to join our organization and be part of our team.
When requested, SickKids will provide access and inclusion supports to eligible candidates to support their full engagement during the interview and assessment process. Information received related to access or inclusion will be addressed confidentially.
Thank you for your interest in joining SickKids. Only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted. In accordance with our Hospital policy, employment at SickKids is conditional upon the Hospital’s receipt of all necessary documentation.
FOR EXTERNAL APPLICANTS ONLY: As a health care institution, our highest priority is the safety of patients, families and staff. As a result, we are adopting all prevention measures to ensure the safety of our patients, families and our staff. Therefore, any offer of employment is conditional upon you submitting proof that you have been fully vaccinated with a Health Canada or World Health Organization (WHO) approved COVID-19 vaccination as soon as possible and no later than fourteen (14) calendar days prior to the effective start date, in addition to satisfying any other condition(s) that may be set out in an offer. If a candidate fails to satisfy this condition (or any other condition(s) set out in an offer), any offer of employment shall be immediately rescinded.
How to Apply
Apply At This Link
Tip: Combine your cover letter and resume into ONE document of 20 pages or less as you cannot upload multiple documents as part of your application.
If you are still experiencing technical difficulties please email firstname.lastname@example.org to send us a short description of the issues you are experiencing. Please note that we will not accept resumes sent to this inbox but we are happy to respond to requests for technical assistance.